To say that Enniscorthy Castle has had a turbulent history is probably an understatement.
The castle was originally built in 1190 by the Norman de Prendergast family, who lived there relatively peacefully for around 200 years. After this, the issue of who owned the castle became very contentious and was often settled with violence. It was claimed by the Irish in 1375, retaken by the English in 1536, burned down by the Irish in 1569, gifted by Queen Elizabeth in 1589, besieged by Orwellian forces in 1649 and then used as a prison during the 1798 Rising. It’s now home to the Wexford County Museum.